Tuesday 23 July 2013

Burt Wonderstone Review...

It's not long until the (UK) DVD release of The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, so I thought I would do a quick review. If you don't know what I am talking about, here is the trailer...


I loved this movie! I am a huge fan of Steve Carrell and I like Steve Buscemi and Jim Carrey too. And of course, it is about magic! Along with some really great magic there are enough ridiculous feats too (pretty much anything Jim Carrey's character, a Criss Angel type called Steve Gray 'Brain Rapist' does, including spending a night on a red hot bed of coals), to keep the laughter coming.

Opening in 1982, we meet Carrell's character on his 10th birthday being bullied, and then discovering his birthday present from his absent Mom... a magic set. Fast forward twenty years and the ten year old Albert Wendelstien is now the fully grown and hugely successful Burt Wonderstone! I won't go through the whole plot, but it is quite standard fare for most of the movie. But it is genuinely funny, has a great soundtrack and clearly has a reasonable budget. There are also great turns by the late James Gadolfini and the always amazing Alan Arkin.
If you get the chance, give it ninety minutes of your life... It's good fun, and who knows; maybe it will inspire a few future magicians out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment